2019 New Year’s Goals
*Breaking News! My New Year’s Day goal is to sit in front of the TV, minus a hangover, and watch college football bowl games on TV all day while stuffing my face with fat “comfort” food. Plus, I will drink heavily, topped by an ice cream sundae. I’ll give it a whirl. PS Current status: I’m feeling comfortable just typing the words “comfort food”.
The above was what we call sarcasm. Sarcasm minus the joking, because let’s be honest, this is exactly how I spend every New Year’s Day.
Seriously now, let’s set a list of Goals, or Resolutions, for 2019.
- Read more books. I’m thinking 10 or 20 books. (See my list below)
- Be nicer to people. It’s always a life goal.
- Be a better friend. Be generous. Give.
- Stop being an annoying pain in the ass to my wife and kids.
- Lose some weight and fat %. Give it to the poor.
- Trek across Antarctica.
- Climb Mt. Olympus, Mt. Kilimanjaro, or maybe walk up a local hill.
- Develop DutchLionSports.com into a better site. Write more often and develop some broader genres, including possibly fiction. Hmmmm.
- Golf more often. Get that average under 90.
- Win all my fantasy leagues, as usual. Just kidding. I’ve never won the Butkus League. Let’s get that one accomplished so we can move on in life.
- Move out of Illinois. I-L-L sucks.
- Save money. Eat like a pauper and stop spending money on dumb stuff like large lattes and tolls. Tolls….. who needs ’em?
- Become a scofflaw.
- Get caught speeding, at least once. C’mon cops, I’m long overdue driving at these speeds. What are you doing while on the clock? Get that speed gun outta your crotch and into my car. “Get outta my dreams. Get into my car. (Echo)….Get into my car……. Get outta my dreams. Get in the backseat babaay” – Billy Ocean
- Make a new friend. I did it this year!
- Eat squid.
- Puke up squid.
- Listen to more Billy Ocean.
- Get those ivy plants crawling up the house. Fertilize!
- Run a race, like one of those 3k, 5k, or 10k deals.
- Join a fantasy CFL league. CFL stands for Canadian Football League.
- Drive by the “Home Alone” house in nearby Winnetka. It’s just 25 miles down the road. What are we waiting for?
- When sad, watch videos on Youtube of two things: Charlie Steiner on ESPN SporsCenter vids and all-time top managerial meltdowns.
- Take the family on a driving trip out West to see some national parks. Buy a cowboy hat and wear my cowboy boots.
- Swim in the Caribbean.
- Watch more old 80s music videos on Youtube. Incredible fun! (See Billy Ocean video below)
- REMINDER: Turn the underpants inside out tomorrow.
- Dominate every day!
That’s it. Not too hard. Maybe too easy. We’ll see.
2019 List of Books
- “Hawk” by Ken Harrelson – Just started on 12/26.
- “The Big Fella: Babe Ruth” by Jane Leavy
- “Cobb” by Al Stump
- “No Sad Songs” by fellow blogger Frank Morelli
- “Serpents Underfoot” by fellow blogger D.C. Gilbert
- “41: A Portrait of my Father” by George W. Bush
- “The Old Man and the Sea” by Ernest Hemingway
- “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain
- maybe another selection from Twain
- “The 50 Best College Football Teams of All Time” by Bill Connelly
- “Namath” by Mark Kriegel
- “Steinbrenner” by Bill Madden
- “Casey Stengel” by Marty Appel
- “The Mannings” by Lars Anderson
- “The Streak” by John Eisenberg
- “The Opening Kickoff” by Dave Revsine
- “Leadership” by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- “The Greatest Ballpark Ever” by Bob McGee
- “Game Day” by Craig James
- “73-0!” by Lew Freedman
- “Good Girl” by Mary Kubica – Mary is a friend I grew up with back in LZ. We used to go running together. Mary’s cool. I don’t normally read fiction but……. you guessed it……. I’ll give it a whirl. This was Mary’s first novel. She has five books in total now. My wife has read all of ’em and loves ’em.
Staring at these books on my bookshelf, there’s little chance I actually get through all of these. Some are thick books. Who knows? As we wrote above, I’ll give ’em a whirl. I don’t think I’ll follow this order above. It’s more random. Sometimes I feel like baseball. Sometimes I feel like football. Sometimes a book is too big to drag on a vacation.
That’s all for now. I better get reading ……. and preparing that squid …… and turning those underpants inside out…… and listening to Billy Ocean.
Reid “Dutch Lion”