Gary “The Gut” Goombah 2021.6
Another week of winning was had by Gary and his followers. “The Gut” just makes it look so easy. How does he do it? He feels it in his gut, deep down in his bones.
Recap of NCAA Week 7:
- Nebraska Cornhuskers (-3.5) over Minnesota Golden Gophers – Lost; Nebraska left at least 13 points out on the field at Minnesota, a game in which “The Gut” attended. Minny won 30-23. The refs screwed the Huskers too… again. Adrian Martinez clearly scored on his 3rd and goal carry. His foot was in the end zone. How does a guy put his head down, get his foot across, but not get the ball over the goal-line? Exactly. It’s almost impossible.
- Michigan St. Spartans (-4.5) over Indiana Hoosiers – WON! MSU pulled out a five point victory, 20-15.
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (-16.5) over Kansas Jayhawks – WON! Texas Tech dominated by 27 points, winning 41-14.
- Alabama Crimson Tide (-17) over Mississippi St. Bulldogs – WON! Alabama destroyed the Bulldogs as expected, by 40 points, 49-9. We still can’t believe they were only favored by 17.
- Tennessee Volunteers (+2.5) to cover at home vs the Ole Miss Rebels – Lost; Tennessee almost had Ole Miss but lost by 5 points, 31-26.
- Iowa St. Cyclones (-6.5) over Kansas St. Wildcats – WON! Iowa State won by 13 points, 33-20, to cover!
- Army Black Knights (+14) to cover at Wisconsin Badgers – WON! Army held their own at Wisconsin, losing by just six points, 20-14.
- Boise St. Broncos (-3.5) over Air Force – Lost; Boise State lost on their home turf, 24-17.
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week”: Virginia Tech Hokies (+5) at home over the Pitt Panthers – Lost; Somehow Virginia Tech lost at home by 21 points, 28-7. This Hokies program is really struggling lately.
Recap of NFL Week 6:
- Jacksonville Jaguars (+3) to upset the Miami Dolphins – WON! The Jaguars indeed upset the Dolphins, 23-20.
- NCAA: 5-4 for the week, 20-17-1 for the season (2-1 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- NFL: 1-0 for the week, 8-2-2 for the season (1-1 on “Gary’s Lock of the Week”)
- OVERALL: 6-4 for the week, 28-19-3 for the season
Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s Weekend Selections
NCAA Week 8 Selections
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week” : Notre Dame Fighting Irish (-7) over USC Trojans – It’s a rivalry game but USC has fallen on hard times. The Irish get them in South Bend. They’re both coming off their bye week. The Trojans have been very, very inconsistent, winning and losing every other week. PICK: ND
- Michigan Wolverines (-23.5) over Northwestern Wildcats – Michigan (6-0) is awesome. Northwestern (3-3) stinks. Northwestern’s wins are over Indiana St., Ohio, and Rutgers (that’s not Indiana and Ohio State, that’s the Sycamores and the Bobcats and the Scarlet Knights). Ok, so that’s why the Wolverines are favored by 23 plus the hook over the “Mildcats”. Why will they cover? “The Gut” feels that the Wolves will be rarin’ to go after a bye week. They get the ‘Cats in the “Big House” and should destroy a bad Northwestern team that has no electricity. PICK: Michigan
- Utah Utes (-3) over Oregon St. Beavers
- UMass Minutemen (+35.5) to cover at Florida St. Seminoles – UMass is awful (1-5) but 35 and a half points is a lot to cover, especially for a 2-4 ‘Noles squad.
- Georgia Tech (+6.5) to cover at Virginia – Here’s a nugget: This will be Virginia’s 8th straight game to open the season. They might be tired, whereas G-Tech just had their bye week. Gary’s got a “Gut” feeling here.
- Ohio St. Buckeyes (-21) over Indiana – Ohio State has won four in a row, the last three by a boatload of points (at least 39 point victories). They just had their bye and are ready to attack the back half of their schedule. Indiana is 2.4. PICK: Ohio St.
NFL Week 7 Selection
- New England Patriots (-7) over New York Jets – Last month, the Patriots beat the Jets 25-6. Why not again? That one was at New York. This one is in Boston. PICK: New England
- Las Vegas Raiders (-3) over Philadelphia Eagles – We just don’t think the Eagles are very good.
- Tampa Bay (-12.5) over Chicago Bears – Last year the Bears upset the Buccaneers at Soldier Field. This year, Tampa is out for revenge. The Bucs are the Super Bowl champs. The Bears are…. ready for hibernation. PICK: Tampa Bay, big.
- Washington (+7.5) over Green Bay Packers – Here’s thinking the Packers will be down after last week’s emotional victory over their rival Chicago at Soldier Field. WFT hasn’t performed well thus far in ’21, going just 2-4. Green Bay has won five straight after their opening loss. Here’s a “Gut” selection that the Packers might win but this will be closer than the experts think.
“Whether rich or poor, thou shalt gamble more” – Gary’s mantra