Gary “The Gut” Goombah 2021.8
Gary had his first losing week of the season to close out October. Let’s call it a Halloween aberration. Overall, “The Gut” went only 4-6 on his ten selections but at least he won his “Lock of the Week”. Now it’s time to turn the page toward a new month. What does he have on tap for the first weekend in November?
Recap of NCAA Week 9:
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week” Oklahoma Sooners (-19) over Texas Tech Red Raiders – WON! The Sooners destroyed the Red Raiders by 31 points, 52-21.
- Illinois Fighting Illini (+1.5) over Rutgers Scarlet Knights – Lost, Rutgers won by six points, 20-14.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (-3.5) over North Carolina Tar Heels – WON! ND won by ten points, 44-34.
- Iowa Hawkeyes (+3) over Wisconsin Badgers – Lost, Iowa played like garbage and lost by twenty points, 27-7.
- Iowa State Cyclones (-7.5) over West Virginia Mountaineers – Lost, The Mountaineers upset the Cyclones as a home ‘dog, 38-31.
- Nebraska Cornhuskers (-7.5) over Purdue Boilermakers – Lost, Nebraska laid an egg and lost by five points, 28-23.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (-16.5) over Duke Blue Devils – WON! Wake pulverized Duke by 38 points, 45-7!
- California Golden Bears (+1.5) over Oregon St. Beavers – WON! Cal beat the Beavers by fourteen, 39-25.
Recap of NFL Week 8:
- Detroit Lions (+3.5) at home versus the Philadelphia Eagles – Lost, What was “The Gut” thinking betting on the Lions? Well, he was wrong. Detroit got blasted at home, 44-6. Goodness gracious.
- Kansas City Chiefs (-9.5) at home versus the New York Giants – Lost, The Chiefs struggled once again. They won the game but only by three points, 20-17.
- NCAA: 4-4 for the week, 27-24-1 for the season (4-1 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- NFL: 0-2 for the week, 11-5-2 for the season (1-1 on “Gary’s Lock of the Week”)
- OVERALL: 4-6 for the week, 38-29-3 for the season
Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s Weekend Selections
NCAA Week 10 Selections
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week” : Liberty Flames (+9.5) over Ole Miss Rebels – Liberty is 7-2 one season after going 10-1. Their HC is Hugh Freeze, formerly head coach at…. Ole Miss from 2012-’16. Ole Miss is 6-2, after having played a tough stretch of teams since the beginning of October. Here’s betting that they breathe a little too easy this week, assuming Liberty is a pushover. Truth is, Liberty might win this game straight up! PICK: Liberty
- Iowa Hawkeyes (-12) over Northwestern Wildcats – “The Gut” always picks against the Mildcats. Northwestern has only won three games this year, over Indiana St., Ohio, and Rutgers. In their five losses, they’ve been blown out in at least three of them, with four of the five losses being by at least 17 points. Iowa should handle Northwestern, by much more than twelve points.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (+2.5) over North Carolina Tar Heels – Wake Forest (8-0) is an underdog at UNC (4-4). What’s that now? For some reason the “experts” think the ‘Heels will beat the undefeated Demon Deacs. Well, here’s guessing Wake Forest will remain undefeated. North Carolina has no defense. They won’t be able to contain Sam Hartman and HC Dave Clawson’s explosive offense. PICK: Wake Forest
- Duke Blue Devils (+21) over Pitt Panthers – This spread just seems too large for a game at Duke. We expect a letdown by a hot Pitt team.
- Baylor Bears (-6.5) over TCU Horned Frogs
- Oklahoma St. Cowboys (-3.5) over West Virginia Mountaineer
- Oregon Ducks (-7) over Washington Huskies – This is a huge rivalry up in the Pacific Northwest. The game is at Washington (4-4), but the sad truth for Huskies fans is that their team just isn’t very good right now. Their offense is pitiful. Meanwhile, Oregon (7-1) is clearly the class of the West Coast. Oregon should have little trouble winning by at least a touchdown in Seattle. PICK: Oregon
- Florida Gators (-18) over South Carolina Gamecocks
NFL Week 9 Selections
- Los Angeles Rams (-7.5) over Tennessee Titans – You may have heard that All-World RB Derrick Henry is likely out for the season. PICK: Rams
- Pittsburgh Steelers (-6.5) over Chicago Bears – The Bears offense is pitiful. Last week at home versus the 49ers, the defense joined the offense in a pity party. The Steelers should cover the touchdown at home on Monday Night Football.
“Whether rich or poor, thou shalt gamble more” – Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s mantra