Gary “The Gut” Goombah 2021.11
Shortly after Gary’s picks were published last week, we had a contributor submit his selections. The contributor was my brother-in-law Jay. You might be surprised to see Jay’s performance was better than Gary’s. What!
As you can imagine, “The Gut” was not happy. However, Gary never backs down from a challenge. Therefore, we’re getting Jay’s picks this week “on the record”. Let’s see how they do on Thanksgiving weekend, traditionally a gigantic time for gambling. First, the recap. Then our favorite selections for Thanksgiving ’21.
Recap of NCAA Week 12:
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (-17.5) over Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – WON! Notre Dame absolutely destroyed Georgia Tech 55-0! Jay picked Notre Dame and also won.
- Iowa St. Cyclones (+3.5) over Oklahoma Sooners – Lost, Oklahoma pulled out a tight victory by a touchdown, 28-21. Jay picked Oklahoma and won.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (+4.5) over Clemson Tigers – Lost, Clemson played well and beat the Deacons 48-27. Jay picked Clemson and won.
- Michigan Wolverines (-14.5) over Maryland Terrapins – WON! Michigan won by 41 points, swamping Maryland 59-18. Jay picked Michigan and also won.
- SMU Mustangs (+11.5) over Cincinnati Bearcats – Lost, Cincinnati finally looked like the great team that they are, winning handily over a good SMU team by a score of 48-14. Jay picked Cincinnati and won.
- Oklahoma St. Cowboys (-10.5) over Texas Tech Red Raiders – WON! The Cowboys crushed the Red Raiders 23-0. Jay picked Oklahoma St. and also won.
Recap of NFL Week 11:
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week”: Baltimore Ravens (-4.5) over Chicago Bears – Lost, The Ravens barely beat the Bears in Chicago, 16-13. Jay also picked Baltimore and lost.
- New Orleans Saints (+2) at Philadelphia Eagles – Lost, New Orleans lost by 11 points, 40-29. Jay picked Philly and won.
- Buffalo Bills (-7) over Indianapolis Colts – Lost, Buffalo was destroyed at home by Jonathan Taylor and the Colts 41-15. Jay also picked Buffalo and lost.
- Minnesota Vikings (+1.5) over Green Bay Packers – WON! Sure enough, the Vikings won the NFC Norris battle at home, 34-31. Despite being a huge Packers fan, Jay also picked Minnesota and won.
Overall Standings Thru 10 Weeks:
GARY “THE GUT”
- NCAA: 3-3 for the week, 35-35-3 for the season (4-2 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- NFL: 1-3 for the week, 14-12-2 for the season (2-2 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- Overall: 4-6 for the week, 49-47-5 for the season (6-4 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- NCAA: 6-0 for the week
- NFL: 2-2 for the week
- Overall: 8-2 for the week
Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s Weekend Selections
NCAA Week 13 Selections
- The Game: Michigan Wolverines (+8) over Ohio St. Buckeyes – Is this the year the Wolves finally beat their archrivals? “The Gut” thinks they will… at least lose by less than eight points. Maybe even try a money line pick or parlay with one of the other underdogs. That’s how you cash tickets and win ducats. Jay picks Ohio St.
- Bedlam: Oklahoma St. Cowboys (-4) over Oklahoma Sooners – When was the last time OK State was favored over their in-state rivals? It was 2017 when they were ranked 11th and facing the 8th ranked Sooners in Stillwater. The Cowboys were favored by two but lost by ten. Final score: Oklahoma 62-52. Sound familiar? This year’s game has the teams ranked 7th (Cowboys) and 10th (Sooners). It’s in Stillwater. The Cowboys are favored by four. One guarantee will be the total points. It won’t add up to 114. This year’s Over/Under is 50.5 points. The reason is because Oklahoma State’s defense is tremendous. Another reason is because neither offense is spectacular like they usually are. PICK: Oklahoma State 30-21. Jay picks Oklahoma State also.
- North Carolina Tar Heels (+6) over N.C. State Wolfpack – Sam Howell is back and “The Gut” is taking the Heels. Jay picks N.C. State (-6).
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (-19) over Stanford Cardinal – ND has played really sound football since losing to Cincinnati. They’ve won six games in a row, the last three by a combined score of 117-9. Stanford is having an awful season, winning just three games, none since October 2. Irish should roll. Jay picks Stanford.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (-4.5) over Boston College – Man, does Gary love Wake Forest or what? He seemingly takes them each and every week. Last time out they crumbled at traditional power Clemson. This week? They should win easy at non-traditional power BC. Jay picks Wake Forest also.
- Texas A&M Aggies (-6.5) over LSU Tigers – Can the Aggies go into Death Valley and win by a touchdown? “The Gut” feels it. LSU is in shambles. A&M is becoming a major force. PICK: Texas A&M. Jay picks LSU.
- Kentucky Wildcats (+3) over Louisville Cardinals – When “The Gut” saw this point spread, he couldn’t believe his 24 carat eyes. He’s still doing double-takes, wondering if he needs to visit an eye doctor. Kentucky should be the team favored. They are 8-3 while Louisville is 6-5. Are we missing something? PICK: Kentucky. Jay also picks Kentucky.
NFL Week 12 Selections
- Gary’s Thanksgiving Special “Lock of the Week”: Dallas Cowboys (-7.5) over Las Vegas Raiders – Let’s take a look at common opponents. Both the Cowboys and Raiders just played the Kansas City Chiefs over the last two weeks. Both Dallas and Las Vegas lost to the Chiefs, but look at their scores. KC went into Vegas and beat the Raiders handily, 41-14. Then Dallas went into KC and played respectably before losing 19-9. To “The Gut”, this means that Dallas is a much better team than Vegas. This game is in Dallas for the traditional Thanksgiving afternoon special. PICK: Dallas. Jay also picks Dallas.
- Tennessee Titans (+6.5) over New England Patriots – New England is getting a ton of hype, winning five in a row. However, two of those big wins were over two of the worst teams in the NFL, the Jets and the Falcons. Meanwhile, don’t forget the Titans just won six games in a row before last week’s strange collapse at home versus the Texans. “The Gut” thinks Tennessee will get back on track and at least lose a close game if not win straight up at New England. PICK: Tennessee. Jay also picks Tennessee.
- Baltimore Ravens (-3.5) over Cleveland Browns – The Browns (6-5) have been wretched since their early season upturn. They’ve lost four of their last seven games. The Ravens (7-3) are a really good team that has struggled over the last couple weeks because Lamar Jackson was sick. Assuming he plays this week (he said he’s 120% on Wednesday), Gary likes the Ravens to win by more than 3.5 points. PICK: Baltimore. Jay also picks Baltimore.
As you can see, Gary “The Gut” and Bro-in-law Jay have each made ten selections, four of which are different picks. We can’t wait to see how it turns out. Enjoy the food, folks, and fun. And remember….
“Whether rich or poor, thou shalt gamble more” – Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s mantra