Gary “The Gut” Goombah – Week 2, ’22
Gary’s been so busy with the early season football drama that he’s a little late getting us his selections this week. Therefore, we’re focusing on NFL Kickoff on Sunday for our five favorites.
Last week he gave us five college selections and he went 3-2. Not bad Gary, but we want more. Here’s the Recap from the opening weekend:
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (+15.5) over Ohio State Buckeyes – WON! Ohio St. only won by 11 points, 21-10.
- Georgia Bulldogs (-17) over Oregon Ducks – WON! Georgia not only covered, they destroyed the Ducks 49-3.
- Boise State Broncos (+3.5) over Oregon St. Beavers – Lost. Boise State lost by 17 points, 34-17.
- Florida Gators (+2) over Utah Utes – WON! Florida beat Utah 29-26!
- Houston Cougars (-6) at UTSA Roadrunners – Lost. Houston won by only two points in triple OT, 37-35.
Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s Week 2 Selections
Since we’re writing this on Saturday, we’ll focus all of our picks on NFL Kickoff Sunday.
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week”: San Francisco 49ers (-6.5) over Chicago Bears – The Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. They will struggle in the opener against a Super Bowl contender. We expect the ‘Niners to dominate. Last year’s meeting in Soldier Field was a ‘Niners 33-22 victory. PICK: San Francisco
- Minnesota Vikings (+1.5) over Green Bay Packers – The Vikes are always hard to beat up in Minneapolis. The Pack seems to always start off slow. Doesn’t it feel like Aaron Rodgers always tells us to “R-E-L-A-X” after the first two games? PICK: Minnesota
- Los Angeles Chargers (-3.5) over Las Vegas Raiders – The Chargers are a Super Bowl contender and open up 2022 in the immaculate SoFi Stadium that they share with the defending Super Bowl Champions, the Rams. Watch for young QB Justin Herbert to shred the Raiders suspect secondary. PICK: L.A. Chargers
- Tennessee Titans (-5.5) over New York Giants – The Titans are good. The Giants are bad. PICK: Tennessee
- Carolina Panthers (+1.5) over Cleveland Browns – BAKER MAYFIELD is starting against his old mates. The Browns won’t have the services of Deshaun Watson yet, as he’s suspended. The only thing we’re worried about is Mayfield being TOO pumped up. That, and the fact the Panthers just aren’t as good as the Browns. PICK: Carolina
“Whether rich or poor, thou shalt gamble more” – Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s mantra