Gary “The Gut” has been down in the doldrums all week. Last weekend was brutal. He lost all 4 picks and two of them were “Bad Beats”. That left him……bitter!!!!!
Let’s recap last week’s selections:
- Nebraska (+11) over Wisconsin – The Badgers won 38-17 but this game was closer than the score appears. Through 40 minutes it was tied 17-17. Nebraska imploded and left at least 10 points out on the field while giving at least 7 to Wisky. With the possible 14 point swing coming from Nebraska’s opening drive which ended in a ridiculously lucky Pick 6 for Wisconsin, along with a missed FG by Nebraska’s reliable Drew Brown, the Halftime score could’ve/should’ve probably been something like Nebraska 20-10 instead of Wisconsin 17-10. And we all know the key to beating Wisconsin is getting a lead and making subpar QB Alex Hornibrook pass. Instead, with the 17-17 tie after Horni’s Pick 6, the Badgers ran the ball the entire rest of the game. I heard it was 20+ straight running plays. In the 4th quarter, Neb couldn’t stop ’em and couldn’t get the ball back. Then when they did, Stanley Morgan fumbled. Strangely, the play wasn’t reviewed. Replays showed it was a close call and may have been overturned. Why was that turnover not reviewed? I don’t know. I’ll call it Nebraska’s bad luck, which they’ve had for years now. Oh well. It could’ve gone Gary’s way but nonetheless, it was a straight up LOSS for “The Gut”.
- Virginia Tech (-16.5) over Boston College – VTech won 23-10, covering by only 13 points. Thus, a LOSS for “The Gut”.
- Kansas St. (+5) over Texas – This makes Gary angry, sad, and bitter!!! Sure enough, Kansas St. covered the 5 point spread…….in regulation. But then they went to overtime. Texas ended up winning by 6 in OT. Boooo!!!!! This is what SVP calls a “Bad Beat” on his Monday Night SportsCenter on ESPN. Have you ever seen this feature? It recaps all the weekends bad beats, gambling style. It’s a wonderful bit put out by Scott Van Pelt. Check it out sometime.
- Dallas (-2.5) over Green Bay – Dallas had this game and they blew it. They led 21-6 over the Packers. Then what happened? As you can imagine, bad calls against Dallas spurred the Packers to a road victory. Worst call? That late hit penalty on Dallas’s defense against Aaron Rodgers on 3rd down when he was sacked on his own 2 yard line. The personal foul (which was a total BS call) gave Green Bay an automatic 1st down, which they then drove down for a big touchdown. Not only is that like a turnover, but Dallas would’ve probably had excellent starting field position. No call there by those horrible refs and the Pack would’ve punted out of their own back line in the endzone. We don’t know if Dallas would’ve won by 3 or more points for sure (they lost 35-31) but……….”C’mon man!” Dallas got hosed again…….so the “Gut” LOST again.
- Week 1 : 3-0-1
- Week 2 : 1-3
- Week 3 : 3-1
- Week 4 : 3-1
- Week 5 : 0-4
- Season Totals: 10-9-1
Despite the brutally bitter week, Gary is ready for this weekend and feels confident once again. In fact, the odds are now in his favor. This week “The Gut” will tackle 5 matchups.
Week 6 NCAA Selections
Wisconsin Badgers (-17) over Purdue Boilermakers – This one seems too easy. The line was at 15.5 points earlier this week but now it’s creeping up since the smart guys are seeing what “The Gut” is seeing. Wisconsin is rolling (5-0). They’re back at home in Camp Randall Stadium. And how sensational is freshman RB Jonathan Taylor?!? Purdue (3-2) is something for the media to talk about lately but they’re not that good yet. They have beaten Ohio, Missouri, and Minnesota for their 3 wins. Take Wisconsin to cover 17 points easily as the Badgers will blow out the Boilers!
Michigan Wolverines (-7) over Indiana Hoosiers – Michigan (4-1) is better than their performance last week. The Wolverines defense is one of the best in all the land and they are angry after last week’s travesty against Michigan St. in that rainstorm. Not only will Michigan win this game over Indiana (3-2) by a touchdown or three, but they might win by 25+ points. Gary “The Gut” says, “Go Blue”!
Oklahoma Sooners (-8) over Texas Longhorns – The Red River Rivalry renews in Dallas with the Sooners (4-1) coming off their upset loss to Iowa St. Therefore, people are down on Oklahoma…..for now. Perfect chance for “The Gut” to take advantage of the lower point spread. Think about it. If OU had stayed undefeated and beaten Iowa St. last week, this point spread would be closer to 18-20 points! Trust me. Baker Mayfield and OU will rebound in dominating fashion. Texas (3-2) has been ‘muy inconsistente’ this year. “The Gut” says take OU and the 8 points all the way to your local currency exchange.
Washington Huskies (-17.5) over Arizona St. Sun Devils – Washington (6-0) has had some slower starts this season but they always seem to blow out the opponent in the end. UW has one of the best defenses in the country and their offense ain’t too shabby either. Is Arizona St. (2-3) even any good? I don’t believe in them. Neither does Gary. Pick the Huskies!
NCAA Upset Special of the Week : LSU Tigers (+7) over Auburn Tigers – Not only does “The Gut” think LSU (4-2) will beat this 7 point spread, he thinks they may upset the Auburn Tigers (5-1) S/U! Here’s why:
1) The game is in Death Valley. LSU is 2-2 as a home dog over the last 5 years. Here’s what happened: In 2012, LSU was an 8 point dog to ‘Bama and covered as they lost by just 4 points, 21-17. In 2014, LSU was a home dog to both Ole Miss by 3 (won 10-7 S/U) and to ‘Bama by 6 (lost by 7 points, 20-13). In 2016, LSU was a home dog to ‘Bama once again by 7 points and lost 10-0.
As you can see, both losses were to powerhouse Alabama, barely. They won straight up against Ole Miss and beat ‘Bama by the spread in the other. LSU doesn’t have to play Alabama this week. They’re playing Auburn. “The Gut” is licking his chops with this one. Pick LSU!!!!
That’s it for this week. See you again next week, unless Gary takes his big cash winnings and leaves for a beautiful European Viking River Cruise and decides to never return.