Gary “The Gut” Goombah 2021.9
The gambling world was turned upside down last week with upsets galore. Gary “The Gut” performed poorly
yet admirably, due to the unpredictable nature of last weekend’s gridiron drama. Honestly, it was the most miserable week of gambling in recent memory, certainly of the 2021 season. After wandering around in a drunken stupor for a few days, Gary is back to turn his fortunes around.
Recap of NCAA Week 10:
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week” : Liberty Flames (+9.5) over Ole Miss Rebels – Lost, Ole Miss covered by 13 points, 27-14.
- Iowa Hawkeyes (-12) over Northwestern Wildcats – Lost, Iowa only won by five points over lowly Northwestern, 17-12.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (+2.5) over North Carolina Tar Heels – Lost, Wake Forest lost by three points, 58-55 in a royal shootout.
- Duke Blue Devils (+21) over Pitt Panthers – Lost, Pitt covered by 25 points, 54-29.
- Baylor Bears (-6.5) over TCU Horned Frogs – Lost, Baylor lost by two points, 30-28.
- Oklahoma St. Cowboys (-3.5) over West Virginia Mountaineers – WON! Oklahoma St. blew out West Virginia 24-3.
- Oregon Ducks (-7) over Washington Huskies – WON! Oregon barely scraped by on the road at Washington by ten points, 26-16.
- Florida Gators (-18) over South Carolina Gamecocks – Lost, Not only did Florida lose the game, but they were destroyed by 23 points, 40-17. Ugh.
Recap of NFL Week 9:
- Los Angeles Rams (-7.5) over Tennessee Titans – Lost, The Rams lost at home to the Titans, 28-16.
- Pittsburgh Steelers (-6.5) over Chicago Bears – Lost, Pittsburgh won the game, but needed a last second field goal to finish Chicago, 29-27.
Overall Standings Thru 8 Weeks:
- NCAA: 2-6 for the week, 29-30-1 for the season (4-2 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- NFL: 0-2 for the week, 11-7-2 for the season (1-1 on “Gary’s Lock of the Week”)
- OVERALL: 2-8 for the week, 40-37-3 for the season
Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s Weekend Selections
When you’re up against the wall with your gambling, go with the fast horses. Who do you think are the best teams? Go with the teams that you’re confident in. “The Gut” went back to the drawing board this week and relied on that sage advice. Here are his rebound picks for Week 11.
NCAA Week 11 Selections
- Georgia Bulldogs (-20) over Tennessee Volunteers
- Texas A&M Aggies (-2.5) over Ole Miss Rebels
- Wisconsin Badgers (-24.5) over Northwestern Wildcats – We don’t see Northwestern scoring even one point at Wisky against the tough Badgers D.
- Kentucky Wildcats (-21) over Vanderbilt Commodores – Vandy is terrible.
- Oregon Ducks (-14) over Washington St. Cougars – The Ducks will put up style points at Autzen over Wazzu.
- UAB Blazers (+4.5) over Marshall Thundering Herd – Both teams are 6-3 while Marshall is at home. UAB’s running game is better and hot as of late. We’ll take the Blazers, as long as they don’t kill themselves with penalties, like they usually do.
- Minnesota Golden Gophers (+5) over Iowa Hawkeyes – Iowa’s offense is bad. Minny is unpredictable but they’re getting five points with this spread and you wonder if Iowa can score much more than 17 or 20 points. The Hawkeyes only beat Northwestern by 5 last week and you know how “The Gut” feels about the “Mildcats”.
NFL Week 10 Selections
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week”: Buffalo Bills (-12) over New York Jets – Buffalo will be raging mad after last week’s disastrous upset loss at Jacksonville. We expect the Bills to get back on track with a huge victory over the division-rival Jets.
- Dallas Cowboys (-9.5) over Atlanta Falcons – Like Buffalo, we figure the Cowboys will rebound over a weaker Atlanta squad.
- Arizona Cardinals (-10.5) over Carolina Panthers – Do you see a theme here? Gary is locking up the better teams that surprisingly lost last week. He thinks they were all aberrations.
- L.A. Rams (-4) over San Francisco 49ers – This seems a bit risky but the Rams are a Super Bowl contender and they were embarrassed last week at home vs Tennessee. Expect redemption.
“Whether rich or poor, thou shalt gamble more” – Gary’s mantra