Gary “The Gut” Goombah 2021.10
The slump continued last week for Gary “The Gut” as he won five picks, lost four, and pushed on two more selections. Not bad, but disappointing. I guess those ties could’ve gone either way. Let’s say he won those, then he would’ve had a much more respectable 7-4 record. By the way, all season Gary had made ten picks per week but accidentally added an extra selection last week. Oh well, it’s time to get back on the horse and take a gamble. Here’s the recap.
Recap of NCAA Week 11:
- Georgia Bulldogs (-20) over Tennessee Volunteers – WON! Georgia won by 24 points, 41-17.
- Texas A&M Aggies (-2.5) over Ole Miss Rebels – Lost, A&M lost to Ole Miss by 10 points, 29-19.
- Wisconsin Badgers (-24.5) over Northwestern Wildcats – WON! Badgers covered the spread by winning by 28 points, 35-7.
- Kentucky Wildcats (-21) over Vanderbilt Commodores – Lost, Kentucky only won by 17 points, 34-17.
- Oregon Ducks (-14) over Washington St. Cougars – PUSHED, Oregon won by exactly 14 points, 38-24.
- UAB Blazers (+4.5) over Marshall Thundering Herd – WON! Sure enough, UAB beat Marshall straight up 21-14.
- Minnesota Golden Gophers (+5) over Iowa Hawkeyes – PUSHED, Iowa won by exactly five points, 27-22.
Recap of NFL Week 10:
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week”: Buffalo Bills (-12) over New York Jets – WON! Buffalo crushed the Jets 45-17.
- Dallas Cowboys (-9.5) over Atlanta Falcons – WON! Dallas destroyed Atlanta 43-3!
- Arizona Cardinals (-10.5) over Carolina Panthers – Lost, Arizona struggled at home, losing 34-10. Of course, Kyler Murray didn’t play. If we’d have known that before publishing, we wouldn’t have suggested this play. Oh well, it happens.
- L.A. Rams (-4) over San Francisco 49ers – Lost, The 49ers surprised the Rams on MNF 31-10.
Overall Standings Thru 9 Weeks:
- NCAA: 3-2-2 for the week, 32-32-3 for the season (4-2 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- NFL: 2-2 for the week, 13-9-2 for the season (2-1 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- Overall: 5-4-2 for the week, 45-41-5 for the season (6-3 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s Weekend Selections
Despite the mediocrity of the past few weeks, Gary feels really good about this weekend. Here are his picks, in no particular order.
NCAA Week 12 Selections
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (-17.5) over Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Notre Dame (9-1) has won five in a row while Georgia Tech (3-7) has lost four in a row. ND should be favored by more. PICK: ND
- Iowa St. Cyclones (+3.5) over Oklahoma Sooners – Oklahoma was exposed last week at Baylor, losing 27-14. Now they continue their toughest stretch of the season as they face Iowa St. at home before traveling to Bedlam next week.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (+4.5) over Clemson Tigers – Wake Forest is 9-1 on the season, with a perfect ACC record (their loss at UNC was considered a non-conference game). Clemson has struggled all year, going 7-3 despite a putrid offense. They have won three straight and get Wake at home for Clemson’s Senior Day. We like Wake’s chances at a straight up win and they are 4.5 point ‘dogs. PICK: Wake Forest
- Michigan Wolverines (-14.5) over Maryland Terrapins – Michigan is really good. Maryland (5-5) is really bad. Their only two Big Ten wins are home vs Illinois by 3 and home vs Indiana by 3. They have lost all of their other Big Ten games by at least 17 points. PICK: Michigan
- SMU Mustangs (+11.5) over Cincinnati Bearcats – Don’t sleep on SMU. They are 8-2 with their only two losses at Houston (by 7) and at Memphis (by 3). This game is at Cincinnati. The Bearcats have looked a bit iffy recently as they’re playing with the pressure of the CFP hanging over their season. Last year, Cincy blasted SMU 42-16. Here’s thinking that SMU gets revenge, at least by ATS-wise. They might not win, but will keep it closer than 11.5 points.
- Oklahoma St. Cowboys (-10.5) over Texas Tech Red Raiders – The Cowboys are hot over the last three games, winning 55-3, 24-3, and 63-17. Oklahoma State rolls big over the Raiders.
NFL Week 11 Selections
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week”: Baltimore Ravens (-4.5) over Chicago Bears – As a Bears fan, this pick by Gary hurts. I guess “The Gut” isn’t a Bears fan. Either that, or he just likes winning cash and he can spot a Ravens victory a mile away in this matchup.
- New Orleans Saints (+2) at Philadelphia Eagles
- Buffalo Bills (-7) over Indianapolis Colts
- Minnesota Vikings (+1.5) over Green Bay Packers – The Packers are due for a let-down after their solid start to the season. The Vikings are a bit underrated and undervalued at this point. Plus, they’re home in this NFC Norris division rivalry. Those games usually go to the home team. PICK: Minnesota
“Whether rich or poor, thou shalt gamble more” – Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s mantra