Gary “The Gut” Goombah – Week 5, ’22
Week 4 Recap:
- Washington St. Cougars (+6.5) over Oregon Ducks – WON! Oregon prevailed, but only by three points in a huge comeback, 44-41.
- Duke Blue Devils (+9.5) over Kansas Jayhawks – WON! Kansas won S/U, but Duke covered!
- Michigan Wolverines (-17) over Maryland Terrapins – LOST. Michigan won by only seven points, 34-27. S
- Ohio St. Buckeyes (-18.5) over Wisconsin Badgers – WON! Ohio State whaled on Wisconsin 52-21. In retrospect, Gary should have made this his “Lock of the Week”.
- Stanford Cardinal (+14) over Washington Huskies – LOST. Washington is better than I thought. They won by 18 points, 40-22.
- Kansas City Chiefs (-5.5) over Indianapolis Colts – LOST. The Colts upset the Chiefs 20-17.
- Los Angeles Chargers (-3) over Jacksonville Jaguars. LOST. The Jags upset the Chargers 38-10! Maybe Jax is for real.
- Tennessee Titans (+2.5) over Las Vegas Raiders – WON! The Titans won by two points, 24-22. I can’t believe they were a home ‘dog to the Raiders.
- Cincinnati Bengals (-6) over New York Jets – WON! Bengals won 27-12.
- Minnesota Vikings (-6) over Detroit Lions – LOST. The Vikings won S/U but only by four points, 28-24.
Overall Standings Thru 4 Weeks:
- NCAA: 3-2 for the week, 9-7 for the season (0-1 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- NFL: 2-3 for the week, 6-9 for the season (1-1 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- Overall: 5-5 for the week, 15-16 for the season (1-2 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s Week 5 Selections
This week Gary is buying in on some big favorites as well as some surprising underdogs. In order to buy a new Corvette, “The Gut” better make us some money this weekend. Let’s go!
NCAA Best Bets:
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week” – Wake Forest (+6.5) over Florida State Seminoles – Wake Forest should be the better team. The biggest thing Gary is worried about is a letdown from Wake after their tough loss last week vs Clemson. However, we see the Demon Deacons taking out their frustrations on an improving young squad in Tallahassee. PICK: Wake Forest
- Georgia Bulldogs (-28.5) over Missouri Tigers
- Michigan Wolverines (-10.5) over Iowa Hawkeyes
- Oklahoma Sooners (-5) over TCU Horned Frogs
- Oregon Ducks (-17) over Stanford Cardinal – Such an underrated rivalry here in this Pacific Northwest matchup between schools with much different football philosophies. Oregon is small and fast. Stanford is big and slow. Methodical, you might say. Oregon is at home in the Autzen Zoo. Oregon is too fast and too good for Stanford. PICK: Oregon
- Penn State Nittany Lions (-24.5) over Northwestern Wildcats – The “Mild”cats stink! PICK: Penn St.
- Kentucky Wildcats (+6.5) over Ole Miss Rebels
NFL Best Bets
- Gary’s “Lock of the Week” Denver Broncos (+2.5) over Las Vegas Raiders
- Los Angeles Chargers (-5.5) over Houston Texans – Here’s betting the Chargers rebound after their surprising home loss last week to the Jags. PICK: L.A. Chargers
- San Francisco 49ers (-1.5) over Los Angeles Rams – The 49ers are seeking revenge over L.A. based on their last meeting in the NFC Championship game. Is this team better with Jimmy Garoppolo at the helm? We think so. Will they be pumped up on Monday night in Levi’s Stadium? Assuredly. PICK: San Francisco
“Whether rich or poor, thou shalt gamble more” – Gary “The Gut’s” mantra