Gary “The Gut” – Week 14, ’22
Week 13 Recap
Rivalry Week was fantastic. At least, I thought so. I’m not sure Gary did. The Thanksgiving holiday weekend was filled with gambling losses. “The Gut” was devastated. He hopes you didn’t take his lame advice. If so, he’s sorry.
NCAA Best Bets:
- Ohio State Buckeyes (-7.5) over Michigan Wolverines – LOST. Most of the country was probably shocked by the outcome, a Michigan walloping over The Ohio State 45-23. It wasn’t shocking that Michigan won as much as it was how they won, by dominating just like they did last year, but this time on the road. A victory at the ‘Shoe by 22 points? Impressive.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (+4.5) over USC Trojans – LOST. USC defended their home turf, winning by 11 points to cover the spread, 38-27.
- Kansas Jayhawks (+12) over Kansas St. Wildcats – LOST. Kansas State won by 20 points, 47-27.
- Auburn Tigers (+22.5) over Alabama Crimson Tide – WON! Alabama put up a late score to win by 22 points, 49-27. However, the hook saved us.
- Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (+14.5) over James Madison Dukes – LOST. This one was just funny. Coastal Carolina was crushed by 40 points, 47-7.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (-3.5) over Duke Blue Devils – LOST. Duke won by three points, 34-31.
- Houston Cougars (-12) over Tulsa Golden Hurricane – LOST. Houston lost by seven points 37-30. Ugh.
NFL Best Bets:
- Tennessee Titans (+2.5) over Cincinnati Bengals – LOST. Cincinnati covered the spread, winning 20-16.
- Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5) over Green Bay Packers – WIN! The Eagles covered… barely. Philly won 40-33.
- San Francisco 49ers (-8.5) over New Orleans Saints – WIN! San Francisco won 13-0, covering the 8.5 points.
Overall Standings Thru 13 Weeks:
- NCAA: 1-6 for the week, 37-35 (51.4%) for the season (4-5 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- NFL: 2-1 for the week, 18-23-1 (43.9%) for the season (1-5 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
- Overall: 3-7 for the week, 55-58-1 (48.7%) for the season (5-10 on Gary’s “Lock of the Week”)
Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s Week 14 Selections
NCAA Best Bets (Conference Championship Week) * All point spreads taken from http://www.SportsBettingDime.com.
- Conference USA Championship: UTSA Roadrunners (10-2) (-8.5) over North Texas Mean Green (7-5)
- Pac-12 Championship: USC Trojans (11-1) (-2.5) over Utah Utes (9-3) (+2.5) – These teams met earlier this season in Salt Lake City, UT. The Utes pulled out a classic game 43-42. Do they have what it takes to repeat? “The Gut” thinks USC will get revenge in the Championship tilt in Las Vegas. PICK: USC
- MAC Championship: Ohio Bobcats (9-3) (+3) over Toledo Rockets (7-5) – Ohio is 9-1 ATS this season while Toledo is only 4-8 ATS. PICK: Ohio
- Big 12 Championship: TCU Horned Frogs (12-0) (-1.5) over Kansas St. Wildcats (9-3)
- Sun Belt Championship: Troy Trojans (10-2) vs Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (9-2) (+8.5) – The big issue with this game is the availability of Coastal Carolina’s fabulous quarterback Grayson McCall. He’s a game-time decision (GTD) with a foot injury after missing the last three games with said injury. IF McCall plays, we feel great about betting Coastal Carolina. IF McCall doesn’t play, we feel great about betting Troy. Therefore, if you have the opportunity to find out about McCall’s status ahead of time, and the point spread hasn’t moved much, then fantastic for you. If not, stay away from gambling this game. * If/When there is an announcement, Dutch Lion Sports will update this prediction. *
- Mountain West Championship: Boise St. Broncos (9-3) (-3) over Fresno St. Bulldogs (8-4) – Boise State gets to play at home on “the Blue” at Albertson’s Stadium in Boise, ID. If it seems like Boise plays in the MWC Championship Game every year, it’s because they almost do. This is the 10th MWC Championship Game and Boise has a 3-2 record so far. So this makes Boise’s 6th appearance out of ten games. This is the 5th time the game is at Boise State (3-1 record so far). Boise also beat Fresno 40-20 back on October 8. Only a three point spread? Sounds too easy. PICK: Boise
- SEC Championship: Georgia Bulldogs (12-0) (-17.5) over LSU Tigers (9-3) – We expect the Bulldogs to be highly motivated because even though they won the National Championship last year, they did NOT win the SEC Championship. You might recall they flubbed that game vs Alabama last year before getting revenge on ‘Bama in the Title Game. The SEC Title means a lot and so we think Georgia will roll in this year’s game to make up for last year’s disaster. PICK: Georgia
- AAC Championship: Tulane Green Wave (10-2) (-3.5) over UCF Knights (9-3) – Tulane gets the privilege of hosting this game in Yulman Stadium in New Orleans, LA. I really like this Tulane team and I convinced Gary “The Gut” to pick Tulane in this one. My first memory of Tulane’s current iteration was their road loss at #2 Oklahoma last year, in 2021. Even though they eventually lost 40-35 and finished the season only 2-10, I was really very impressed with them. It looks like the luck was against them last year and now it favors them this year. Tulane is 8-2 ATS. PICK: Tulane
- ACC Championship: Clemson Tigers (10-2) (-7.5) over North Carolina Tar Heels (9-3) – Despite UNC’s solid 9-3 record, they average 37.1 ppg but allow 30.3 ppg. That’s a lot of close games. Clemson is averaging 34.3 ppg but allowing only 20.9 ppg. Advantage: Clemson. PICK: Clemson
- Big Ten (B1G) Championship: Michigan Wolverines (12-0) (-16.5) over Purdue Boilermakers (8-4) – We love Aidan O’Connell (“AOC”) but Purdue has no chance against Michigan. Even without superstar RB Blake Corum, the Wolverines are too good for Purdue. Of course, we’re not just picking games straight up here. We like to look at the point spread. Could the Boilermakers cover the 16.5 points? Sure they could. PICK: Michigan
NFL Best Bets:
- Kansas City Chiefs (-1.5) over Cincinnati Bengals – In a rematch of last year’s AFC Championship Game, “The Gut” feels that Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs will get a measure of revenge over the Bengals this week. PICK: Kansas City
- Tennessee Titans (+4.5) over Philadelphia Eagles – The Eagles are 10-1 and playing great. They’re favored by 4.5 points over a solid 7-4 Titans team. PICK: Tennessee
- Detroit Lions (-1) over Jacksonville Jaguars – The Lions are at home and they’re pretty good, despite their 4-7 record. The Jags are also 4-7. What about ATS? The Jaguars are 4-6-1 while the Lions are 7-4. PICK: Detroit
- Seattle Seahawks (-7.5) over Los Angeles Rams – The Rams are bruised and battered. QB Matt Stafford is out once again. Now superstar DT Aaron Donald is out too, and don’t forget about Super Bowl MVP Cooper Kupp. The ‘Hawks will roll. PICK: Seattle
- Dallas Cowboys (-10.5) over Indianapolis Colts – This might be a big spread but the Colts just don’t look very good right now and they’re facing the league’s top defense in Dallas at Dallas. PICK: Dallas
That’s it for this week. If “The Gut” has another week like last weekend, he might have to go hide in solace. His pride will take a hit and he might need to sell some of his valuable merchandise.
“Whether rich or poor, thou shalt gamble more” – Gary “The Gut” Goombah’s mantra