Thank you to Cass over at Uniquely Cass for nominating me for the Mystery Blogger Award! Cass is a really nice, wonderful person who I’ve enjoyed getting to know recently by reading her blog. She lives near Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I’m excited to be visiting Toronto this summer on a family driving trip from Chicago to Boston. Think “National Lampoon’s Vacation” except we’re heading east instead of west….. and hopefully Aunt Edna doesn’t die, at least until we get to Fenway.
- Thank whoever nominated you and include a link to their blog
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself
- Nominate 10-20 bloggers you feel deserve the award
- Answer the questions from the person who nominated you
- Ask your nominees 5 questions of your choice with one weird or funny one
- Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog
Three Things About Me:
- I’ve become obsessed with John Hughes’ movies the last few years and I enjoy visiting the movie sites that he used, most of which are here on the north shore of Chicago. So far I’ve spotted the house from “Risky Business” and Cameron’s house from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”. I know what you’re thinking…….. weirdo movie nerd who wants to join a cult……. a cult of weird John Hughes movie nerds.
- I think pet dogs are the biggest scam in the history of humanity. Think about it. The dogs are laughing hysterically to themselves, saying to each other, “Hey Bowser, check it out….. I have an owner who clothes me, bathes me, feeds me primo food, takes me to the pet hospital, everything! Would you believe he even cleans up my poop!?! I know right!…. what a tool. All I have to do is bark and wag my tail a few times and he falls in love with me. He even buys me stupid birthday gifts and play toys and stuff. What a turd! You wild dogs really need to find an owner too. It’s the life man…. I mean dog.”
- I could see myself enjoying prison. I mean, all the peace and quiet. Think about all the time to read and relax and consider philosophy and ideas and stuff. Free food and shelter too. In a weird way it’s heavenly, except for the shivs and abuse and lack of freedom and daylight and all that.
My Answers to Cass’s Questions:
1. What is your favourite ice cream flavour?
- I really dig the peanut butter chocolate. In fact, I dig it the most. I also like the mint chocolate chip. But if you’re gonna hold a gun to my head, or, perhaps send me to prison……. well ok.
2. What is the one thing you cannot live without?
- Oh man, as you know, “I live for the games”. It’s on my “Dutch Lion” business cards for goshsakes. Seriously, I need competition. I need to watch games. There are a couple days a year with no games on (the day before the MLB All-Star game, the day after, when they put that stupid ESPY’s show on, then the day after that…… panic mode!) and I pull my hair out. I also can’t live without potato chips and cashews. Oh yeah, I can’t live without my beautiful wife and kids either. My dog-walking neighbors on the other hand……..
3. What TV show would you recommend if someone is looking for a show to binge watch?
- I watch a ton of television so I love this question. My favorites that I’d recommend would be the entire “Spartacus” series from Starz, “Hell on Wheels” on AMC, and currently “The Americans” on FX. These shows have all been on my “Greatest Shows Ever” list in my head over the last 5 years. Wow, I’m getting chills thinking about watching these shows all over again for the very first time. Oh wait! Let me add “Blue Bloods” and “Hawaii Five-O” on CBS. Those are all fantastic but my favorite show ever……..I know what you’re thinking…….. is “Magnum, P.I.” Nobody did it like Tom Selleck, John Hillerman, Roger Mosley, Larry Manetti, and the Donald P. Bellisario and Glen A. Larson team from the 1980s. I grew up watching this with my dad so I have great memories of time shared with him. Then when I grew up I bought each season as it was released on DVD. I’ve watched all 162 episodes at least once and usually many times over. It’s funny, serious, dramatic, intriguing. It’s a mystery, a comedy, a soap opera, an action series all wrapped into one. Do yourself a favor and watch Magnum. It’s 8 seasons of pure genius!
4. What is your go-to late night snack?
As you know, I adore cashews and potato chips so those are typically a part of my late night viewings of “Magnum”, “The Americans”, and assorted other outstanding TV series. Oh yeah, another one! I love “Vikings” on History Channel (it’s a show about vikings, not the Minnesota Vikings). I enjoyed “Black Sails” on Starz too. (it’s a show about pirates in the Bahamas, not the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.) “Davinci’s Demons” was pretty good on Starz until they (Spoiler Alert!) traveled to South America and met some cannibals. “Rescue Me” on FX……. Oh, it just never ends. I love TV! Oh yeah, back to the question. My favorite midnight snack is/are Totino’s Pizza Rolls (this is a snack, not a TV show, so why did you bold it? I don’t know, stop asking me questions late night writer guy). I usually pop 6-8 into the microwave. If it’s a 40 count bag I usually enjoy 8 pizza rolls. That way, I can count to see if they actually included exactly 40 pizza rolls into the bag. 8 x 5 = 40. It’s exciting as you move closer and closer to the bottom of the bag until the last feeding. Right? PS What is wrong with me?
5. If you could pack your bags right now & move somewhere new, where would you go?
Great question once again. I’ve been talking about moving for years. My wife and I (mostly just me) are so sick and tired of Lake County, Illinois. We live in a suburb of Chicago. The traffic, the property taxes, the roads, the overpopulation, the income taxes, the politics, the weather, the craziness is all too much for me. Plus I live in Cubsville and hate the Cubs, so it’s been a tough 43 years. I’ve lived in Lake County for 38 of my 43 years and I’m so sick of it I could puke. Be right back…….. I’m back, but don’t ask. Where was I? Oh yeah, I hate it here. Now, having said that, we’re not moving until we can retire and collect the full teachers’ pension, which of course will probably not even be there when we educators retire because the state of Illinois is in about $95 billion worth of debt thanks to the politicians of the past 40 years who always borrow from the pension fund to pay for their stupid government programs. They’re borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Is that the saying? Who’s Peter? Maybe I should befriend him. Sounds like he has/had plenty of dough. I think you know what I meant. Thanks Illinois! Everyone is already beginning to move out of state so meanwhile the rest of us chumbolones will be the ones footing the bill of even higher taxes until we too take the leap and leave.
Anyway, I want to move to the suburbs or rural areas of Lincoln and/or Omaha, Nebraska. Maybe Boise, Idaho, Cheyenne, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Texas, Nevada, or Arizona. I basically want to move out to the open land out west and live where less government and taxes and rules (and did I mention taxes) reign. “Home, home on the range, where the deer and the antelope play.” That sounds free, relaxing, and nice. A warm climate would be a welcome addition to our lives. Live Free or Die! (unless you actually want to try out prison of course)
6. BONUS QUESTION! THANKS FOR ASKING CASS(IUS) CLAY! What movie can you watch over and over without ever getting tired of?
Phenomenal question. I love “Jerry Maguire”, “Hoosiers”, “Donnie Brasco”, “Carlito’s Way”, “Dumb & Dumber”, “Caddyshack”, “Goodfellas”, “Good Will Hunting”, “Silver Linings Playbook”, “Dazed & Confused”, “Road to Perdition”, “Pulp Fiction”, “Heat” (the one with DeNiro and Pacino, not the comedy with the big funny woman) ……. it never really ends. Where do I start? Oh, I think I just did. Get on this list and report back to me ASAP. Oh wait, I thought of a good one I love. “A Lot Like Love” with Amanda Peet and the guy from Iowa…..dude, what’s his name? Ashton Kutcher! Yeah, that one’s really good. So is that movie with Josh Duhamel and Julianne Hough…… the mystery rom-com one….. “Safe Haven”. Man, this just keeps going. Enough! “En Bruges!”, no I’m just kidding, only seen it once. “Home Alone” is awesome, all the John Hughes’ movies (here we go again Mr. North Shore Stalker), “Blood Diamond”, all the Dicaprio, Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise stuff….. OH, OH, OH, “True Romance”! Oh yeah! Glad I thought of that one. Go see this movie right now. It’s Tarantino’s first writing script, I think. It’s Christian Slater, Dennis Hopper, Patricia Arquette, Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, Brad Pitt, Michael Rapaport, James Gandolfini, that guy from “Perfect Strangers”, and the ex-husband guy from “Frasier” in an action, romantic, how do you label it kind of movie?….. I know right? What a cast! Great film! That’s it. Let’s stop there. Just watch those and report back to me in a decade or so.
- Nicole at ThatGirl4Ever
- Chaz at Life of Chaz
- Laura at Laura Mae Author
- Robert at RoboeAmerican
- Paul at The Captain’s Speech
- Benn Bell at Ghost Dog
- Cody Stroup at Quarter Life Crisis
- Frank at Frank Morelli Writes
- DC Gilbert at Patriot Warrior
- Mike Tuggle at M.C. Tuggle
- GP Cox at Pacific Paratrooper
- Sierra Michaels at Sierra Michaels’s Blog
- What is the best sporting event you’ve ever attended?
- What are your favorite CDs/albums/records/recordings ever?
- What is the first or best concert you’ve ever attended?
- Tell me about professional wrestling. Who is your favorite wrestler ever? Why?
- If you could go back in time to a five year span in your life and relive it, what age would you pick?
Thanks for reading. I’m sure it was a chore but if you made it this far, you should consider reading some of my other stuff too. You might actually, gasp, like it. Thanks again Cass! You’re the best.